Saturday, December 19, 2009

New Moon

I was never a big Twilight fan. I have friends that absolutely LOVE it, and friends that hate it with a burning passion, but I'm kind of lukewarm.
I think it's a brilliant story and incredible character ideas. Like the vampires' human talents being magnified? That's a magnificent idea! That makes for a great story. But all this overly-dramatic romance? I could do without it.
Since when did, "I love you so much I would die for you," become, "I love you so much I won't kill you,"?
My parents won't let me read any of the books except the first one, and they were hesitant to let me see the movie. This made me angry at first, but now I'm beginning to understand. Twilight is presenting girls with a romantic relationship that's just not real, and not healthy. Bella and Edward don't really LOVE each other so much, they are absolutely INFATUATED with each other. Girls today say, "I want a boyfriend like Edward." I can tell you right now, I don't.
He leaves to protect you, and then tries to kill himself when he thinks your dead. That's not heroic, that's called feeling sorry for yourself and not moving on with your life. He stalks her at night and watches her when she sleeps. That's not romantic, that's creepy and unethical.
I like the story, it's a good concept, but you need to be careful that you guard your heart while you're reading/watching it. They're setting girls up for relationships that don't work, and don't happen in real life. Be careful that you don't get sucked in, because it's dangerous. It's dangerous to focus on relationships like that, instead of your relationship with God and others around you. God will bring you to the right person, and he probably won't be like Edward.
Boys, don't kid yourself into thinking that girls will like you more if you act "cool" like Edward. Good, strong, Christian girls aren't looking for Edwards, they're waiting for disciples of the Lord to come to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment