Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Don't Forget

No, I am not talking about the Demi Lovato song, for all you preteen/teenage girls.

The other night I saw this video about the mental institutions in Serbia, which are very similar to the ones in the rest of Eastern Europe and Russia. You can watch it too:


For those of you who actually watched it, you understand. It's horrible. Grown men strapped into cribs. Children that are so deformed I can't even find their head. It made me cry.

Now, the first thing I wanted to do after I saw it was forget about it. I didn't want to think about all those terrible things that were happening because it hurt, and it scared me. But as I was doing some reading in my Bible, I realized that God doesn't want me to forget. And I don't want to forget. Those images are what prompt me to take action. And I want to DO SOMETHING. I want to help them! Because I remember. I don't forget.

If you say, "Hey, that's none of my business,"
will that get you off the hook?
Someone is watching you closely, you know --
Someone not impressed with weak excuses.
- Proverbs 24:12 (The Message)

Once we have seen the pain and the hurt and the suffering, we can't just turn our backs. However much we may want to forget, and never worry about it again; stay safe and sound in our cozy homes with our safe, normal lives, we CAN'T.

He is watching us, to see if we will remember, and do great things through the pain, discovering love along the way. Or if we will turn our backs, and refuse to help the weakest of the world.

Then the King will say, "I'm telling the solemn truth: Whenever you did one of these things to someone overlooked or ignored, that was me -- you did it to me."
- Matthew 25:40 (The Message)

No comments:

Post a Comment