Sunday, February 14, 2010

Top Songs of 2009

As I was browsing through iTunes the other day (if you don't know how big a music fan I am by now, you've got some catching up to do), I found an iTunes Essentials playlist with all the top songs of 2009. I immediately decided to see how many I knew at least the chorus for.

Almost all of them. From "Right Round" by Flo Rida, "You Belong With Me" by Taylor Swift, "Just Dance" by Lady GaGa, and "Boom Boom Pow" by Black Eyed Peas. I knew AT LEAST the chorus on most of them and the entire song's worth of lyrics for quite a few of them.

I was so proud of myself. I was up with times. I wasn't such a complete classical music dork.

But as I listened to what I was singing, I was shocked and angry at myself. Have you heard some of those lyrics? They're disgusting! Gross! I can't believe I know them, let alone sing along with them! I was ashamed of myself for being proud of being so much like today's culture. I was getting sucked in by something as innocent as music. And I never even knew it.

I'm not saying it's bad to listen to mainstream stuff, I'm just saying you have to make sure you guard your heart while you're listening. I've caught myself almost letting a cuss word slip out every now and then. And I know it's because of that music. I just have to keep reminding myself that saying those things or thinking in that manner is NOT OKAY. No matter what culture says.

Words have tremendous power. But words coupled with music. It's catchy and powerful. Double whammy. Make sure it doesn't take hold of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment