Saturday, February 6, 2010

A Musical Journey

People always ask me why I love music so much. And I'm not talking about the average person, yeah-I-like-some-music kind of guy. I'm talking I love ANY music. I'll do country, hip-hop, classical, even opera. I love it all.
Because when I listen to music, I can hear God. I hear the different voices of God in different music. My favorite example of this is The Prince of Egypt soundtrack. So, today, I'm going to take you an a musical journey (no, I'm not being sarcastic or cheesy) through the different voices of God apparent in this soundtrack.

1. God of Joy - Listen to this. How do you not want to get up and dance and sing praises to Him? This clearly demonstrates that God is a joyful God who is happy to be with His children. I mean just listen! Joy leaks from this music!

2. God of Anger - When I hear this, I think that my God is someone not to be trifled with. He is not to be joked around about. He is not to be laughed at. He is God and He could strike you down at any point if He so wanted. Surprisingly this is one of my favorite songs on the soundtrack. Each chorus strike sounds like a blow of God's hand on a disobedient nation. "I send my scourge, I send my sword. Thus saith the Lord."

3. God of Children - God just loves the children. All of them. No matter what race, what mental capacity, whatever. He loves them all as if they were His own. Because they come to Him willingly, trusting that what He says is true even though they can't see it. They have a sweet innocence about them. In this song they are singing his praises! They sing: "I will sing to the Lord, for he has triumphed gloriously. Who is like You, oh Lord, among the celestial. Who is like You, majestic in holiness. In Your love, You lead the people You redeemed. I will sing, I will sing, I will sing."

4. God of Deliverance - God takes care of His people. He delivers him when they call out to Him. Do you hear them begging, pleading with God to save them? And then at the end, He proves himself faithful - and they sing His glory for it.

5. The Unfathomable, Indescribable God - When I listen to this, I just think, "Wow." To me, this describes God better than anything. But even this song can't describe Him. We just can't. We can never fully understand who He is. I think this melody captures some of that mystery and awe.

This is why I love music. Because that's what I can hear. I can hear God. I hope you all have enjoyed this musical journey! It's one of my all-time favorite soundtracks (and I like A LOT of soundtracks)! Thanks for listening!

No comments:

Post a Comment