Thursday, February 18, 2010

Bake Sale (Again)!

My very good friend (who is the same one that stayed at my house for a week earlier this year) graciously offered to do a bake sale during lunch at school one day to raise money for Evan. However, being a sixth grader, she can't be expected to do everything on her own. So we split it half and half, selling puppy chow, brownies, cookies, and Rice Krispie® Treats for $1.00 each.

I had an e-mail sent out this time to raise awareness, so no one would be caught off guard. That was the best decision I've ever made. We raised $196.37!!! Words cannot express how joyful and just utterly thankful that makes me!

We had lower academy students giving $10 or $15 donations, teachers giving money and not wanting anything in return. It was brilliant. As the money came in and kept coming in at lunch, my heart was overflowing with joy. My school had come around me, to help me bring my sister home. We had one student scour the building for change and bring back about $5. We had highschoolers giving us $10 and $20, just telling us to keep the change.

I almost started crying right there in the school building I was so happy, and so thankful for the people at my school. And, I hope, that through these bake sales we are raising awareness for the orphans of the world like Evan. People who never even knew what Down syndrome was are learning how to advocate for orphans diagnosed with it.

We're just getting started. This is a tidal wave that no one can stop. Because I will stop at nothing to bring my sister home. And I will stop at nothing to help other children like Evan find their forever families.

No comments:

Post a Comment