Thursday, February 25, 2010

Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death

That's the tentative title of a new book I'm starting to write. The inspiration for this was just so sudden, so present, that I believe it could only be from God. I'd like to share an excerpt with you, but I'll set up what's going on for you first.

Ivy Grayson is a freshman in high school. She's pretty, popular, what every girl wants to be. But hiding underneath that is a messed-up home life - no dad, an overworked and stressed mom, and a delinquent brother who's in jail. In my story, the spiritual battle is real and present around you - only you can't see it except for when one of the spiritual warriors are injured. So as Tina (Ivy's love protector) is fighting for Ivy's protection against Primo, the leader of the Sadem (Seven Deadly Sins), Ivy is so spiteful towards her brother, that Tina is hurt in the battle. She immediately becomes visible, dropping onto Ivy's floor.
Ivy becomes more aware of the spiritual battle around her and who the good and bad guys really are in the world. With the Kristus Kareivis (Christ Warriors) as her protectors and mentors, she becomes very spiritually strong. The Sadem no longer have the power to defeat her, so they send in the Boss.
So there you have the setup, so you can understand what's going on. Just be aware that Ivy is the only one who can see Tina, the Kristus Kareivis, and the Sadem.

"Class, we have a new student today," my teacher droned in his usual flat tone. "Please welcome Mr. Boaz Britton to our school."
A hush came over the classroom, and Tina tensed beside me, her hand flying to her sword hilt. A tall, handsome young man walked into the silent room. He was handsome, I'll give him that. And interesting - I had never seen anyone like him. His hair, a gray-silver color, fell over his forehead. He had a cunning smile on his face, and his hands were stuffed casually into his pockets. But the most intriguing thing about him was his eyes. There was no color, just black and white.
"You can have a seat next to Miss Grayson, Mr. Britton." All the girls glared at me, seething with jealously. He grinned at me, and I shivered. He was charming, for sure. A little too charming. Tina jumped over my desk to stand between us, and I saw a flicker of aggravation cross his composed face before returning to his usual mischievous countenance. He was attractive, but if Tina thought he was dangerous, I would keep my distance.

Any guesses as to who the mysterious Boaz Britton is? Comment with your guess!

No comments:

Post a Comment