Saturday, February 27, 2010

Good Ol' Southern Home Cooking

I'm a picky eater, I really am. But I can guarantee that I will always love good ol' Southern home cooking!
Every Friday night, we go all out on dessert. We don't have it the other nights, be we cook it up for real on Fridays.
Now, I'm a baker. Not a cooker, a baker. So it usually falls upon me to concoct some delicious treat for the end of the meal. So last night I tried Paula Deen's Gooey Butter Cake. For those who don't know, it doesn't get much more Southern than Paula Deen.
I don't know what it is about good food, but it just brings people together. I don't care where you're from or who you are, you can eat a piece of cake with a complete stranger and feel like you've known them your whole life.
I highly recommend this recipe. Everybody loved it - even Mom, who usually needs some chocolate in her sweets. It was kind of like chess pie in cake form.

Ingredients:
Cake:
1 18.25-oz. pkg. yellow cake mix
1 egg
8 Tbsp. butter, melted
Filling:
1 8-oz. pkg. cream cheese, softened
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
8 Tbsp. butter, melted
1 1-lb. box powdered sugar

Directions:
1. Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
2. Combine the cake mix, egg, and butter and mix well with an electric mixer.
3. Pat the mixture into the bottom of a lightly greased 13x9 baking pan.
4. In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese until smooth.
5. Add the eggs, vanilla, and butter and beat together.
6. Next, add the powdered sugar and mix well.
7. Spread over cake batter.
8. Bake for 40 to 50 minutes. Make sure not to overbake - the center should be a little gooey.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment