Monday, February 15, 2010

At the Movies


As many of you all know, I am quite the movie buff. Especially when it comes to romance. REAL romance, not that sappy stuff you all call love.

This weekend my church group (a group compiled of girls in my grade who live in my area) went to go see Dear John. The basic premise of the story is boy (John) meets girl (Savannah), they fall in love, he chooses duty to his country and what is right over being with her immediately, and the drama ensues.

Caution: This post WILL contain spoilers, so for those of you who want to see it and don't want to know how it ends. DON'T READ.

I thought it was a good story, but Savannah made me furious. John decided to go back into the army after 9/11 because he thought it the right thing to do. And, of course, it is during this time that she writes him the real "Dear John" letter (which, for those like me who didn't know, is when a girl breaks up with a guy in the army). Now, it seemed to me that John had full intentions of settling down with her once he got back. But Savannah couldn't wait any longer. She married another man, and John was left in the dust.
She disgusted me. My dad pointed out to me that they were NOT in a marriage covenant or an engagement so they had no real commitment to each other. But, as John had intentions of marriage when he came back (or so it seemed), she could've at least talked about it before she made her decision. Yes, I can understand where she's coming from. If the man I loved was going to be away from me again, for another two years, I would be crushed. But I would stand by him because he was doing what he felt to be right.
John, however, was a very honorable man. When his father died (after Savannah had married) he sold his dad's coin collection and used the money to give Savannah's husband the treatment he needed for his cancer. That is love, right there folks. Even though she had betrayed him, used him, threw him in the dirt, he still sacrificed for her.
Autism was also shown in a very good light. Not as a bad thing, but as something special, something to be treasured.

I also saw Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Lightning Thief today. Truthfully, I don't know how they're going to be able to make the second one. The books are AMAZING. But the movie, for me, was not quite equal to it. They changed the plot so much that I don't think it's possible for them to continue. Standing on its own, it was a good movie, but compared to the book it was weak. The casting was good, albeit they were too old (they were 12 years old in the book). Percy - good but a little too "I'm-so-cool." Annabeth - great acting, especially her eyes (very intense eyes), although her hair was supposed to be blonde. Grover - GREAT! I never pictured him as African American, but I guess that's just because I'm white.

No comments:

Post a Comment