Sunday, January 10, 2010

Faith Like Potatoes

My family watched the movie Faith Like Potatoes tonight.

It was a brilliant story about a farmer living in South Africa. I especially enjoyed hearing them speak the Zulu language. I don't know what it is about the African languages, but they are just beautiful to me. In the movie, this farmer becomes a Christian and is challenged to always trust in God even when others doubt or when tragedy strikes. All in all, it was a fantastic movie.

However, there was one seen in which a child is killed in a freak accident. Now, those of you who read my earlier post on sensitivity know that I can't handle things like that. Seeing a little child, covered in blood and a man trying desperately to save him, calling out to God for help. I almost had to excuse myself from the room I was crying so hard. Even after the movie, just visualizing it made me feel like I was going to vomit.

My dad still insists that this is a beautiful gift, and I still can't see it that way. But he did say that if I want to grow up and live in Africa with orphans, I will have to deal with things like the child's death in the movie and probably things worse than that. My only responding thought as I pondered his statement was:

God, help me.

I don't even know those people! It was a movie and I was sobbing like I was a part of their family! I don't have any idea how I'm going to deal with something like that happening to a child I know and have interacted with, even loved! I feel like God is building me up to handle horrors like that. It starts with sickness and hospitals and dealing with injuries and what not, and me being exposed to things like the scene in Faith Like Potatoes. I don't think I'll ever be ready to see a child die, though. So, I pray tonight that if God has that planned for me anywhere in my future that he help me. Because I couldn't go through that alone. I couldn't go through that without His help.

But, perhaps I'll be like the man in the movie. Because of what happened, I will go on to do even greater things for the glory of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment