Friday, March 5, 2010

Overcoming Anxiety

I used to be the person that gets nervous about everything. Not just a little jittery, but breakdown nervous. Crying, feeling sick, hyperventilating. That used to be me. I had a generalized anxiety disorder.

Then I started to take counseling. People always think that counseling is a bad thing. Why? Counselors are like doctors for your mind. They help you fix things that you don't know how to fix yourself.

It's been almost nine months since I started seeing a counselor, and all of my family and friends can see a difference. I don't let things bother me as much, and I have a much higher self-esteem. Over time, my counselor had helped me reconstruct my negative thinking patterns of "I can't do this," "I'm not good enough," and "I have to be perfect."

It is so liberating to be free of my restrictive anxiety. I would literally almost make myself sick with nervousness before when now, I only get a few butterflies in my stomach. I learned how to recognize tension in my body and how to control it. I can make my body relax now. I learned how to control my breathing, and my thought processes.

I almost feel like a new person. I don't have to worry anymore. I've learned how to stop my negative thoughts before they go spiraling downwards.

All of this through the providence of God, and a counselor. And people think they're a bad thing... My counselor helped me knock down barriers that were preventing me from being the person God wants me to be.

And I thank God for her. I thank God that she has helped me overcome anxiety.

No comments:

Post a Comment