Saturday, March 20, 2010

No Place Like Home

As you all know, I've been in Florida for the past week visiting my Mom's family. While I loved seeing everyone and getting to grow closer to my family, I truly couldn't way to get home to see Dad and Jace.

Getting home, however, was harder than just tapping my feet together and saying, "There's no place like home."

A 12-hour car ride with a not-yet-walking two-year-old was no picnic. The ride was made easier, though, by our stash of Greek yogurt smoothies and Trader Joe's cheese puffs, and our periodical french fry breaks at Sonic and McDonald's.

We went off and on watching Signing Time, Barney, Elmo's World, and Veggie Tales. My sweet baby boy even watched a little of The Princess and the Frog with me (My 11-year-old boy cousin watched it with me and LOVED it. So no excuses guys.).

As Mom was doing all the driving (I wouldn't have driven on the interstate even if I had passed the permit test), it was my job to make sure Levi was happy and smiling. For someone who's only 5', reaching from the front seat back to a baby car seat was difficult. It was like yoga in a sitting position.

When we weren't eating fries or watching TV shows, we were listening to music. Levi's finicky taste didn't let us stay on one song for more than thirty seconds, that is, except his favorite - Boom Boom Pow by Black Eyed Peas. I nearly passed out laughing as we banged our fists in the air for the BOOM BOOM, Levi banging in all the wrong places with a huge smile on his face, feet kicking willy-nilly in the air.

All in all, I enjoyed the trip back, even if it was a bit exhausting. Nearing our destination, Levi started to sign "Daddy" and say his mumbled version of Jace. He wanted to see them as badly as we did. After some pizza and a sound whooping (BY ME!!!) of the iPhone ESPN Spelling Bee app, we went to bed. As my eyelids are drifting shut even now, I think:

There's no place like home.

No comments:

Post a Comment