Monday, January 17, 2011

A Real Relationship with God

Sometimes I wonder if you can truly have a relationship with God. One like all the preachers and books talk about where you instinctively trust God and follow His will without question. One where the Holy Spirit continually fills you up so that you're bursting with joy even in times of hardship.

Because at the times when I feel like my relationship with God is at its best, when we're closer than ever before, it still pales in comparison to how it "should be." I wonder: Will I ever really know Him? Will I ever be able to depend on God for everything?

Hungry for that relationship that I know exists, I read books about it. I scoured the internet for it. I did everything I could to form that relationship with God. Everything, that is, except what I needed to be doing.

You see, there is now "How To" guide for having a relationship with God. Because relationships aren't easy. They're not easy with enemies, acquaintances, friends, or family. It's the hardest to have a good relationship with those you know best. How much harder is it to have a relationship with God? A real relationship with God. You have to want it. You have to be willing to do whatever it takes to form that relationship.

A relationship with God is all about following and trusting. If you follow God's will for your life, He'll enable you to accomplish it. Stepping out in faith and trusting God is the only way to a deep relationship with Him. You have to trust Him. You have to eliminate your excuses for not doing what He wants you to and realize that God can do anything. There is absolutely no excuse for not doing what He wants us to. Remove the excuses. Then only two questions remain: What does God want you to do? And why are you not doing it?

No comments:

Post a Comment