Monday, April 5, 2010

Fitting In

Everybody wants to fit in. Everyone wants to be wanted, included, appreciated by others.

But there's a problem with this. While we may desire to be just like everyone else, our goal here on earth is not to fit in. We aren't supposed to be like everyone else. In fact, the rest of the world is supposed to hate us.

Now, just because you're a Christian, it doesn't mean you can't desire to fit in. I don't know anyone who doesn't. While many of my friends may joke around, saying that I have no desire to be like everyone else. And while that may truly be what they see in me, it's all a screen.

Everybody puts up screens to hide their insecurities. For some people, it's being so much like someone else that you're too busy being them to be yourself. Others put other people down to make themselves feel "cooler". My screen is different, and I would argue that it's not an average one. I put up the screen of carelessness. I couldn't care less what people think about me. And, while that's true to a certain extent, there are times in my life when I wish I could be just like everyone else, and that I didn't have to act like a Little Christ.

But, see, the blessing about this being my screen, is that, as much as I want to fit in, it will never be enough to change who I am. I will not change the way I am, the way I act, or what I believe for someone else. Whether it be the president, a little kid, or Lady Gaga, I would be the same Tori with all of them.

What's your screen? You'll be surprised at how much truth you're confronted with when you discover it. While you may not be able to completely eliminate it, try to start slowly chipping away at it. After a while, it will be nothing but a tattered old mosquito net, blowing in front of you. And, trust me, it's worth it to get rid of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment