Thursday, May 6, 2010

Damsel In Distress - The Feminist Movement

The "damsel in distress" is an age-old story. Something terrible happens to the beautiful, young lady and she is heroically saved by the gallant and courageous knight in shining armor.
Many women today scoff at this idea. Their first response would be that the beautiful, young lady could've saved herself. She didn't need the assistance of the gallant and courageous knight.
I see where these women come from. They, along with the rest of the women in the world, are tired of being treated as if we are inferior to men. We don't like it that many of today's "men" use their greater physical strength and other aspects of a masculine personality to assert that they are "superior" to women, and use that power negatively.
I also, however, see the flaws of the feminist movement. As women, we have to be careful not to make the same mistake as the men did. We have to remind ourselves that we are not superior to men, but equal. This does NOT mean that women and men have the same jobs, and can do the same things. God designed women to be better suited for the home, to be fantastic, caring mothers and wives. God has assigned the task of providing for the family to the men. This has nothing to do with the women being incapable of doing what men do, or being inferior to them. This has to do with us having equal but different roles.
And, truthfully, I think that most women desire this. I don't know any lady, young or old, who doesn't desire to be protected. When I marry, I want to know, without a shadow of a doubt, that my husband will protect me with his life. He won't let anything happen to me. If I'm ever in a dire situation, I don't want him to sit around saying, "I'll let you handle this since women are superior. You should be able to get out of this by yourself. You don't need me." No, I want him to rush in like that gallant and brave young knight and save me, whether I could save myself or not. It's always good to know that the man you spend the rest of your life with will always protect you.
Personally, I hope that someday I will be a damsel in distress. And, I hope that my husband will be the man that God has called him to be, and rescue me. And, I pray that I will become the woman that God has called me to be, and that I will allow him to fulfill his God-given destiny to protect me.

No comments:

Post a Comment