Thursday, February 3, 2011

The Lord Provides

February 2, 2011. It will always be a momentous day in my mind. Same as November 25, 2009.

At about 10:00 this morning, the phone rang. I rose from my chair where I was answering study questions about The Great Gatsby. Mom had taken Levi to therapy and Dad was at work. I expected it to be a political call.

My breath caught in my throat as I read the ID on the phone - our adoption agency. Knowing that this could either be fantastic news or terrible news, I answered the phone slightly discombobulated.

"Hello?" I said, trying to sound as calm and collected as I could.

"Angie?" People always think I'm my mom. Our voices are similar, I guess. From past experience, I knew that our caseworker wouldn't tell me anything. She'd just ask for mom or dad, and they weren't there. In that case, she'd tell me a whole bunch of nothing. I thought for a split second that I could impersonate Mom, but then decided against it.

"No, this is her daughter."

"Oh, can I speak with your mom?"

"She's not available right now. May I take a message?" I prayed to God she would let me know whatever it is we needed to know so I could take a message.

"Do you think she could be reached on her cellphone."

I sighed inside. "Probably. She usually answers her phone."

"Alright, thanks. I'll try her there."

I hung up the phone, holding my breath. There was no way I was focusing on American literature now. I sat nervously in my chair, trying to answer a question about the significance of the color green in the novel, both my cell phone and the home phone by my side. I grabbed at my cell phone when I heard it vibrate. The caller ID told me it was my dad.

Without waiting for him to say anything, I asked, "Did the caseworker call?"

"Caseworker?" Crap. He hadn't gotten a call.

"Oh! Yeah, she might have called, and, uh, given us a court date!"

I screamed and tried to stifle the tears that were immediately coming to my eyes. I almost didn't believe it. I couldn't believe it. After so long, after so much waiting, she was coming home.

March 31 is our court date. Of course, the judge could still say no to our adoption, but this is a step in the right direction. If all goes well, Evan will come home on April 20. Our Christmas tree will still be up so that we can have Christmas with her. Her presents are waiting. Her stocking is stuffed. It will be Christmas in April for the Hooks! The best Christmas ever!

Thank you all for your prayers, and if you would, continue to lift up the judge's heart and our baby girl. There are still barriers to be crossed to bring her home.

No comments:

Post a Comment