Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Useless

That's how I feel here in America. Absolutely useless.

In Peru, for the first time in my life, I was living out God's Word all day, every day. I got a taste of what (I think) God has called me to do - love on kids with special needs in third world countries.

So, when I came back, I wasn't used to how slow things would be. Day after day, things moved like sludge. Moving, but barely. I was ready to run at the speed of light, ready to go, go GO!

But God wasn't. Sometimes it's best for us to slow down. As useless as it feels when I'm not in an orphanage, God has a purpose for me everywhere. My problem is that I want to do something big. REALLY big. Something that will change the world. But, sometimes it's the small things that matter the most. Saying "hey" to the new kid at school, reaching out to your little brother or sister, doing your chores without your parents asking you to. God loves it when we do that kind of stuff just as much as he likes us starting orphanages and street evangelizing.

Maybe God has something "big" planned, but maybe not. Maybe it's my job to do the small things, and treat them like big things. God certainly doesn't think I'm useless when I play on the floor with Levi, or when I unload the dishwasher, or when I pray with a friend. And neither should I.

I long to accomplish a great and noble task, but it is my chief duty to accomplish small tasks as if they were great and noble.
          -- Helen Keller

No comments:

Post a Comment